The Stratospheric Aerosol and Gas Experiment III (SAGE III) was successfully launched onboard a Meteor-3M spacecraft on December 10, 2001.
The satellite is in a sun-synchronous orbit with an ascending node time of about 9 AM.
Routine measurement operations began in March 2002.
The specific measurement objectives of SAGE III provide 1 km vertical resolution profiles of:
- aerosols and clouds at seven wavelengths from the mid-troposphere into the stratosphere and
where appropriate, the mesosphere;
- O3 from the mid-troposphere to 85 km;
- H2O from the planetary boundary layer to 50 km;
- NO2 from the tropopause to 45 km; NO3 from 20 to 55 km;
- OClO from 15 to 25 km;
- O2 from the mid-troposphere to 70 km
For more information on SAGE III data, software and conditions of access, please see
28th July 2005